...we are an independent bookshop, owned by cooks and lovers of food and books committed to stocking the best books on food and wine. We are Australia's only retail store specialising exclusively in new and old books about wine, food and the culinary arts.
We are members of The Australian Booksellers Association, Restaurant and Catering Victoria, the Australian Culinary Federation (Victoria) and Slow Food Melbourne.
...fills the ground floor of an early Victorian two-storey terrace in Fitzroy. The building dates back to the 1850s and was allegedly used as a sly grog shop almost 100 years ago.
You can even see the handmade bricks in the walls. We have over 30,000 titles in stock; from the 1780s to the latest releases. There are five rooms, filled from floor to ceiling with:
- food writing,
- food history, sociology and science;
- wine, spirits, cocktails, coffee, tea and other beverages,
- kitchen gardens and food production,
- food and wine guides
- foreign language cookbooks,
- hospitality, restaurant and catering management, restaurant design
- and much much more!
Fitzroy was one of the first suburbs of Melbourne and Gertrude Street was one of the first streets in Fitzroy and it shows. Gerty St (as it is often called) has long been one of the most bohemian and ‘interesting’ streets in inner Melbourne.
...Books for Cooks opened in Wattletree Rd, Melbourne in 1985 and for many years was run by Margit & Pearl as a part-time labour of love.
Over a decade ago, Tim & Amanda realised a long held dream and bought a tiny bookshop about wine and food and moved it to Fitzroy.
- provide a free search service for hard-to-find or out-of-print cookbooks - just ask!
- mail promptly and safely throughout the world at cost
- accept Visa, MasterCard online and all cards including American Express and Diners (instore only). We also accept direct payments, and instore, eftpos
- have lay-by arrangements (4 weeks, 20% deposit - terms apply)
- provide gift vouchers (any value)
- can arrange valuations and appraisals
- provide quotes and a replacement service for insurance claims for lost cookbooks
- purchase all good books about wine and food - just ask!
If you are a library or educational institutions please ask about the special services and arrangements we can provide your organisation
For us, avid food lovers, cooks and cookbook collectors for years, owing a cookbook shop has been a long cherished dream. Cookbooks clutter our house and dining table and if we are not reading one, we are usually cooking from another.
Amanda has worked as a professional cook, caterer, cake maker and kitchen manager. Her particular passion is baking but she will give anything a go!
Tim, a former lawyer, is passionate about wine, food and books (not necessarily in that order) and has worked in restaurants, pubs and the food industry. He is an avid bibliophile and he has long had an interest in the history, socoiology, science and literature of food. His particular passions are European peasant food and wine. Tim has also written an occasional column in The Age - Epicure on food history.
All our staff (currently Sarah and Tracey) are passionate cooks who have worked or work in hospitality or the food industry and who read cookbooks every day.