Waters, Alice. Chez Panisse Fruit. Harper Collins: New York, USA 2002. 4to lg HC 352pp. Indent
Alice Waters is the proprietor of Chez Panisse restaurant in San Francisco. The restaurant and by extension, Alice Waters, is an American pioneer of a culinary philosophy that maintains that cooking should be based on the finest and freshest seasonal ingredients that are produced sustainably and locally.
For over forty years, Chez Panisse has fostered and nutured a community of local farmers and ranchers whose dedication to sustainable agriculture provides the restaurant with a steady supply of fresh and pure ingredients.
Alice Waters is Vice President of Slow Food International and the recipent of many awards including:
- the French Legion d'Honneur.Inductee, California Hall of Fame, 2008
- Co-recipient, with Kofi Annan, Global Environmental Citizen Award, 2008
Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2007
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Restaurant magazine’s World’s 50 Best Restaurants, 2007
- Founder, Sustainable Food Program at the American Academy in Rome, 2006
- Force for Nature Award, Natural Resources Defense Council, 2004
- Best Restaurant in America, Gourmet magazine, 2001
- Founder, Yale Sustainable Food Project, Berkeley College, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut, 2003
Restaurant Website: Chez Panisse